Saturday, December 11, 2010

GOODBYE SAIGON. HELLO BEIJING.

So it's official. I'll be moving to Beijing at the end of January. Even though I've moved a number of times in my life (#7 for me), it's something I'm still not used to. A difficult feeling to describe.

First things first. I will miss Saigon; the city, the atmosphere, the culture and its people. It's certainly a privilege to have called this place my home and to be honest, I'm not exactly ready to leave. I've always found it difficult to get my ass up in the morning but I love my routine here. Something as mundane as my journey to work is something I'll never forget. Everyday, I'm surrounded by epic clouds and a city full of life. If you're lucky enough to be living in this beautiful city, observe the people. In conditions that may appear dire to us foreigners, well...just look at how content the people of Vietnam are. Happiness is contagious here.



If there's one thing I hate about this city, it's the foreigners that complain. I've heard some unreasonably nasty criticisms and I just have one thing to say to these ungrateful, close-minded individuals - if you don't like it, get the fuck out. Go home! Do not forget that you are a guest. Show some respect. Sorry to be so dramatic but it's important I get this out. Hopefully, I'll wake up one or two individuals. Moving on...

Now Beijing. I can't express how excited and how scared I am to move. It's an awesome feeling. I can't wait to live in a land that's just bursting with potential. I can't wait to squeeze the bejesus out of the creatives over there and be a part of their artistic nature and culture. I can't wait to see what these guys are capable of. I can't wait to make my first ad. I can't wait to finally shoot that kung-fu commercial I've always wanted to make. I can't imagine the kind of cool shit I'll be learning over there. Ahhh...it's overwhelming.

I'm really, really excited to start tapping into their artistic culture. It is unique. It's undeniably Chinese and I really can't wait to apply that into the work. You can feel the precision and the passion in Chinese art and I look forward to meeting these artistic masters. Wow, I just realized that I'll be a very small fish in a gigantic pond. Now I'm scared...



Anyway, I think that's it for now. If things continue to be chaotic at work, perhaps my next entry will be written in a local coffee shop in a snowy Beijing.